SpirInCo "Terminology" Definitions and Descriptions
- The central area/room of a building around which the rest of the building spirals upward. Usually a core houses utility, maintenance, & mechanical units on the first floor; the first floor of the core also makes an excellent ‘safe-room’.
- The roof over the top story of the core.
- One exterior side of a building-usually a straight wall that can be parts of two levels.
- The outline or base of a building where the foundation meets the ground. This is a common expression for any building.
- The amount of vertical difference between consecutive levels of a building.
- The ‘drop-down’ of the roof-line from the highest section of a building to the lowest. This gets its name from the fact that it is where the next expansion will begin. This is always over a radial wall.
- A single story area of a section. There can be one level in a section or multiple levels, stacked a story apart.
- A side view, or cross section, of a building. (Silhouette)
- A wall that extends from the core of a building out to the exterior.
- A spacing component that has the same thickness as a radial wall that is positioned over a radial wall, with the top sloping like rafters.
- A series of consecutive levels that make up 360° around the core.
- A portion (wing) of a building that extends from the core of the building to the outside walls. Sections are areas between radial walls. A Section can consist of one or more level.
- Same meaning as with traditional buildings.